What should I do if injured on the job?

We all may be confused or maybe even panic when we get hurt while working, but it is highly recommended that you pursue the proper procedure so that you get the money and help you deserve. This procedure may include but is not limited to:

  • Inform your supervisor or boss about getting hurt while working right away. There is specific paperwork that must be filled out when you get hurt at work. In the state of Tennessee, a “First Report of Injury” must be filled out.  It is important to know, however, that if the employer has actual notice of the injury a failure to file the proper notice form will not prevent you from obtaining benefits.
  • Seek medical help right away and go for regular visits until the physician says you are completely treated. As the worker you should be given at least 3 different options for doctors that do not work together and they should live nearby. After you pick a doctor, you should seek only this doctor about your pain and suffering while on the job; unless this doctor recommends that you seek other medical treatment or help.
  • Make sure you tell medical professionals exactly what happened when you get hurt at work and give specific and accurate details about any pain or suffering you may be experiencing. This is critical because it will help medical professionals to properly treat you and this will also determine what kind of payment you may be eligible to receive. It is also recommended to not wait days before informing someone about an incident or waiting to seek medical help. If you need assistance in choosing the best medical professional for you, you may be able to get a recommendation from a Workmen’s Compensation lawyer.

Can I Expect to Be Paid If I do not go back to work right away?

If the medical professional that you seek recommends that you do not return to the job right away, then you may be entitled to certain pay including temporary disability. As a rule, a worker does not receive any payment for the first week or seven business days. On day eight, a worker is entitled to 1 day of pay, then 2 days, and so forth. If you are still unable to return to your job after two weeks, then you would now be entitled to those first seven days or week of disability pay. 

If you are only able to work part time because of medical limitations you can also get a check for the difference in your pay check.  This is known as temporary partial disability. 

How Do I pursue my Workmen’s Compensation Claim?

If you decide to pursue your claim further, it is recommended that you speak with a lawyer who knows about workmen’s compensation regulations and rules. This way you will be given the answers you need to get the help you deserve.

To speak with a lawyer at our firm, you may contact us online or call us at 800-705-2121.